Curly hair naturally looks voluminous but is prone to frizz. Depending on the hair type, it can also be porous or more porous and needs special care and attention to prevent bad hair days.
That’s precisely why we need a DIY shampoo for curly hair.
The Importance of Specialized Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Curly locks occupy space thanks to the voluminous look they have. The more the curls, the more volume and fragility.
- Also, curly hair loses hydration and moisture quickly and needs more moisturization to stay manageable. That means retaining moisturization is another consideration when preparing homemade shampoo for curly hair.
- Also, curly hair is prone to breakage and tangles. So that’s another aspect that makes curly hair different, though every hair can have tangles.
Key Ingredients for DIY Shampoo for Curly Hair
We’re using ingredients that are more helpful for curly hair. Let’s look at a few beneficial ingredients you can consider for your homemade shampoo.
- Coconut Milk – Nourishing, moisturizing, and strengthening, it’s perfect for curly locks and leaves it soft and manageable.
- Aloe Vera Gel – Aloe vera gel gives you the slip needed to detangle your locks easily. It’s also nourishing and hydrating for your locks and scalp.
- Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil, or Sweet Almond Oil – Oils are essential along with other ingredients for curly hair to moisturize and retain the added moisturization.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Restores the scalp’s pH levels and adds a nice shine to your locks.
Step-by-Step DIY Shampoo Recipe
We will look at a natural and nourishing homemade shampoo for your curly locks. This simple and versatile recipe can be modified to suit your preferences and requirements better.
Coconut Milk – 4 Tbsps.
Aloe Vera Gel – 1 Tbsp.
Liquid Castile Soap – 4 Tbsps.
Argan Oil – 1/2 Tsp.
Lavender Essential Oil – 7 Drops
First, extract thick coconut milk from fresh coconuts – you can use store-bought coconut milk if you need fresh coconuts to remove coconut milk.
Remove the flesh from the coconuts, chop them into bite-sized pieces, and add them to your blender.
Add some water blend to a fine consistency and extract the coconut milk.
You can repeat the process another time to extract the milk thoroughly.
Remove the required coconut milk and store the rest.
Add the coconut milk to a mixing bowl.
Scoop out the flesh from aloe vera leaf after draining the green resin from the lead edge and run it in your mixer for a smooth gel. You can also use store-bought gel when preparing your shampoo.
Add the other ingredients to the mixing bowl – lavender essential oil, argan oil, aloe vera gel, and liquid castile soap.
Whisk the ingredients until combined and transfer to a sterilized airtight container.
How to Use it?
You should keep the shampoo refrigerated and take out the required quantity for each use after shaking the bottle gently.
Use your homemade shampoo recipe as you would any commercial shampoo.
Remember to condition your hair and let it air dry for best results.
You can add distilled water to the recipe if it thickens too much.
You can add other ingredients per your choice and preference or requirement.
You can use any carrier oil, like coconut oil, olive oil, etc., instead of Argan oil.
Benefits of DIY Shampoo for Curly Hair
- The first and foremost benefit of preparing your shampoo is skippin’ the harmful and damaging chemicals and preparing your homemade shampoo using natural ingredients. So, it’s healthy for your hair and scalp and good for your health and the environment.
- It’s cheaper than commercial shampoos once you identify and know how to work around your shampoo recipe.
- It can be customized to suit your requirements and preferences.
- You Can prepare larger or smaller batches. This also means you can prepare small batches of the homemade shampoo at regular intervals and use it fresh.
Hair Care Tips for Curly Hair
We all love lovely and bouncy curls. Here are some tips to keep them happy and active:
- Don’t wash your hair daily; if you must, use a mild and natural shampoo that’s gentle. An excellent homemade shampoo is ideal as it’s customized for your hair and soft.
- Curly hair can get tangled easily. Always tie your hair, wrap it with a scarf, and hit the bed. Don’t leave your hair open, as it will be more prone to tangles and breakage.
- Curly hair tends to lose hydration and moisture quickly. Try to switch to a breathable pillow case that doesn’t absorb moisture from your locks. A silk or bamboo pillowcase can do the trick.
- Always condition your hair after cleansing. This is not an option; conditioner is a must even when you use a homemade natural shampoo.
- Deep conditioning pre-shower treatments can help with frizz dryness and also reduce tangling. It’s also nourishing and soothing for your hair and scalp. Hot oil massages are a good idea and can be done once or twice a week.
- Use hair masks to nourish and replenish lost moisture from time to time.
- Always wash your hair with cold, tepid, or lukewarm water. Hot water can strip your hair of its natural oils and moisture.
- Choose the proper hair care and styling products that suit your hair and scalp type.
- Reduce or avoid heat and styling tools and products to keep your locks happy, frizz and tangle-free.
- Trim the ends regularly to keep split ends at bay.
- Detangle your hair gently. You can use a detangling comb or curly hair combs, but start with your fingers first. Detangle gently and use the comb after basic detangling to prevent hair breakage.
- Always wear sun protection or a har when stepping out during noon to protect your sun from heat and UV damage.
- Did you know combing your hair or detangling from the bottom up works better, and there’s less breakage? Try it and see how it works out for you next time!
- Try braiding your locks or wear them in a bun on your head to prevent tangling while asleep. Those with curly locks have good results, and it’s easy to wear their locks like a pineapple on top of their head.
- Don’t overuse products and weigh down your locks; take the moisturization part. It’s essential for curly locks.
While we’re preparing natural products only, raw doesn’t translate to harmless. You should take the basic steps required for any recipe.
- Use natural, organic, gentle, fresh ingredients for your natural shampoo.
- Don’t use any ingredients you’re allergic to.
- If you’re allergic to an ingredient in the natural shampoo recipe you’ve chosen, skip the ingredient, replace it with an equivalent, or change the recipe altogether.
- Always do a patch test to check for any allergies or sensitivities.
- We don’t use chemicals and preservatives in our homemade shampoo. So, store it properly when you’re preparing batches for use more than once.
Before you opt for commercial shampoos, or if you’re considering going the DIY route and using natural products for hair care, try this diy shampoo for curly hair. Let us know how the shampoo recipe works for you.
Need more time for DIY or are skeptical about preparing your hair care products? Don’t worry; we’ve got your back with a broad range of premium vegan hair care cosmetics from Vitamins Revive.
Check out their store to learn more about their products. Have any questions, concerns, feedback, or requests? Feel free to write back to us.
We love hearing from our readers. Also, try the shampoo recipe and tell us how you liked it.